Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Tacos, Politics, and Christ


In light of the current topic of debate, the presidential election, I am reminded of the divide that many of us experience in life. Whether we are democrats or republicans, brown or white, or have denominational preferences, there seems to be always a divide of two extremes. Do we see divides in the scriptures? Sure we do. They start all the way from the beginning of Genesis when God creates man and woman to be different, we even see Paul talk about the Jew and the Gentile.

So the question that is asked: Are these political, cultural, and ecclesial differences good?

The answer is yes!

God created differences and He has called each one of us to be different.  To take a slogan from Northwestern College, how do we become different together? How do we honor each other in our differences? How do we work together to make sure that the task at hand is handled in a mature matter?

The answer for me is simple, own your differences and embrace one another’s differences with an open mind. Work together to come to a point of understanding and love one another. Are we not called to do so? Is this not the second greatest commandment?

I currently work at a church that is predominantly white. In the past, working with a church with great cultural differences has been difficult for me due to the simple fact that I longed for my own culture. I wanted to eat beans and rice instead of mashed potatoes and corn (you may laugh, but I’m serious). I was different than they were and they were different than I was. To share my cultural differences was difficult but I slowly became comfortable enough to invite some to a dinner where I would cook tacos, beans, and rice.

During this meal we shared laughs, we loved one another, and we encouraged one another in the name of Christ, even in our differences, we saw Christ in each other and that was the only thing that mattered at that table.

Now does this mean we should invite our brothers and sisters who are of different political views over for dinner? Yes! What about different denominational preferences? Yes, yes, and yes! Although I am aware that many of you already know the answer to these questions, I wonder how many of you actually participate in sharing a meal with someone drastically different then you?  Owning your differences, even in the midst of being the minority, is a sign of confidence. It is a sign of confidence not in who you are as an individual, but a confidence in your creator.

We are all different, be confident and own your differences, love one another in their differences, and remind yourself that you and the other is created by God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment